“Turn your face to the sun and all the shadows will fall behind you”
One of the most basics and misdiagnosed area in our beauty regime is the kind of skin type we have. There are ample amounts of products in the stores and most of us end up using the wrong product on our skin. There are a few lesser known facts about our skin type which people are generally unaware of. I have listed a few down below:
- We do not have the same skin type throughout our lives, thus if you have determined your skin type once does not mean it sticks to you for life.
- Skin types can change for a lot of reasons like season, pollution, health, age, temperature, smoking, stress, hormones, diet.
- There are not 3 skin types only, as largely popular. There is Dry, Normal, Oily and Combination.
- There are generally two kinds of problems that your skin might be facing – Sensitive or Acne-prone.
- Drink lots of water as the skin will produce more serum (oil) if its dehydrated. Thus, your skin can go from normal to oily if your water intake is not enough.
- Do not over wash your face as washing it a lot tends to rob it from its natural oils.
To know your skin type you will have to do a small step by step exercise.
Step 1: Wash your face with a gentle cleanser. Wash it properly as it cleans your face of all the dirt and dust that has accumulated throughout the day.
Step 2: Pat it dry with a clean towel and do not apply any kind of day or night cream. Just don’t apply any product on your face for a little more than an hour and let it return to its normal self.
Step 3: Take an face oil blotting paper or a regular dry tissue and dab it on the face. Check the tissue after dabbing it across different areas of the face (i.e. t-zone, cheeks, chin, forehead). The oil or flakes left on the tissue after each dab on a specific area will help you determine the kind of skin type that you have.
Step 4: Determining your Skin Type – Normal, Oily, Dry, Combination
- Normal – It is neither oily nor flakey. It should feel supple and smooth. Pores are barely visible and very few discolouration or variances in tone/pigment.
- Oily – The tissue will have grease on it. Your skin will have a shiny appearance and visible enlarged pores. Such skin type is prone to acne and blackheads.
- Dry – The skin might feel taut and the tissue will show flakes/dead skin. The skin will feel tight because of the small pores. The skin will look dull or lack lusture. Wrinkles and lines may develop more easily on such skin type.
- Combination – This is the most common skin type. It exhibits traits of all the above skin types. The t-zone (i.e forehead, nose and chin) will show grease when you dab your tissue on it while the rest of the face will be normal to dry. The areas around the eyes, hair, jaw line and around the mouth are generally ranging from normal to dry. Such kind of skin type are prone to blackheads and have large pores.
Now that you know how to determine your skin type , go ahead and buy the correct product for your skin. 🙂
Hope this post helps you in some way. Till then ‘Stay Aware and Stay Stylish’
P.S. Do visit and like my page https://www.facebook.com/pages/All-Things-Bright-Beautiful/457573114276430 🙂